We received a ton of requests for Miss Daisy’s beef and cabbage casserole that was featured on our “A Casserole Says Plenty” episode. Miss Daisy was so gracious to provide it to our viewers. If you make it, be sure to post some pictures on our Facebook page. We’re sure Miss Daisy would love to see them and so would we!
• Lightly sauté chopped bell pepper and medium onion in 1 TBS olive oil (or you can use ½ to 1 stick of butter instead). Set aside.
• Brown 1 ½ lbs. of ground beef or chuck. Drain fat.
• Put approximately 3 cups of chopped cabbage in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
• Thinly slice 3 medium potatoes (approximately 3 ½ cups) over layer of cabbage.
• Salt and pepper to taste.
• Add 1 can of cheddar cheese soup and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup along with ⅓ cup of milk to ground beef along with the sautéed bell pepper and onions. Stir well.
• Pour mixture over potatoes.
• Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
• Then remove the tin foil and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
A Note from Miss Daisy "I vary this recipe considerably, depending on how many people I am cooking for. Feel free to adjust the amount of cabbage, potatoes, etc. This is a good dish for covered dish dinners. Still tastes good, even at room temperature. Enjoy!"